How Well do you Know Your Local Metropark?
Side Cut’s river community helps sustain the integrity of the Great Lakes’ largest watershed. The watershed covers over 6,000 square miles throughout the Maumee River. The Maumee River is a force in the park’s natural history. The land in and out of the park has witnessed early Native tribal gatherings, battles and canal boats. Opening as the first Metropark, Side Cut boats some of the best wildlife habitat and viewing opportunities.
Side Cut’s name comes from it’s history as part of the Miami – Erie Canal. Around 1850, Side Cut was the terminus of the Canal until the state extended it further down rive along what is the Anthony Wayne Trail today. A series of six locks raised and lowered boats along this Miami – Erie Canal side cut. Locks two, three, and four can still be seen today.
Many wildlife tree homes are found in the floodplains on either side of the river. The park is host to many different types of plants and wildlife and is an excellent venue for human interaction with nature.
Staying on the provided paths throughout the park will help protect visitors and pets from poison ivy, ticks, chiggers, and mosquitos.
Upcoming Events at Side Cut Metropark
- Autumn Adventure: Side Cut Explorer – Scenery tour along the banks of the Maumee River and down the canal towpath in an open-air, wheelchair-accessible trolley. Tuesday, October 20th, 10am and 11:15am – $3.00 Reservations required.
- Autumn Adventure: Twilight Side Cut Explorer – Twilight ride on an open-air, wheelchair-accessible trolley along the banks of the Maumee River.Highlights nocturnal wildlife. Tuesday, October 27th, 5:15pm to 6:15pm – $6.00 (Metroparks Members $5.00) Reservations required.
- Side Cut Shooters: Beginners – Beginners archery competition – Metroparks equipment must be used. Show your Halloween Spirit by dressing up as your favorite archer for their costume contest. Saturday, October 24th, 1pm to 2pm – $12.00 (Metroparks Members $9.00) Reservations required.
- Side Cut Shooters: Advanced – Advanced archery competition – participants must have over one year of archery experience. Archers may bring their own equipment (no broadhead arrows). Show your Halloween Spirit by dressing up as your favorite archer for their costume contest. Saturday, October 24th, 1pm to 2pm – $12.00 (Metroparks Members $9.00) Reservations required.
- Full Harvest Moon and Owl Walk – For more information call 419-897-8663. Tuesday, October 27th, 7pm to 8pm – Free